The Art Director will produce art layouts by developing art concepts, providing work direction and vision to design staff.
- Follow art department work requirements through providing direction, training, assigning tasks, scheduling and coaching employees.
- Meet art department work standards by following production, productivity, quality and customer service standards, resolving operational problems, as well as identifying work process improvements.
- Meet art department cost standards by monitoring expenses and implementing cost-saving actions.
- Formulate art concepts by supervising workers engaged in executing layout designs for artwork and copy to be presented by visual communication media.
- Keep management and team members informed by reviewing illustrative material for presentation.
- Review project production factors by studying budget, background information, objectives, presentation approaches, styles and techniques.
- Select and secure illustrative material by formulating basic layout design concept and conducting research.
- Produce illustrative material by assigning layout design concept to artists and photographers, and turning development of design concepts into art layouts.
- Prepare layouts for printing by marking-up, pasting-up and finishing layouts.
- Attain final approval by presenting final layouts, storyboards, illustrations, and responding to management comments and requests.
- Improve quality results by studying, evaluating and redesigning processes, as well as implementing changes.
- Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, keeping up-to-date with new releases and publications in the graphic design field, maintaining personal networks, and through membership in professional organisations.
- Improve the art department production standards by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, as well as exploring opportunities to add value to role-specific achievements.
- Project Management
- Product Management
- Graphic Design Skills
- Developing Creative Standards
- Illustration Tools
- Desktop Publishing Skills
- Multimedia Content Development
The Art Director must have approximately 10 years of graphic design experience, and a solid portfolio, 7 of which in positions requiring strategic decision making, as well as 3 to 5 years of experience in a leadership role.
Bachelor’s degree in graphic design. MBA is preferable.