The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is responsible for overseeing the planning, development and execution of the organisation’s marketing and advertising initiatives. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the CMO’s primary responsibility is to generate revenue by increasing sales through successful marketing for the entire organisation, using market research, pricing, product marketing, marketing communications, advertising and public relations.
The Chief Marketing Officer must be both analytical and creative, and possess extensive knowledge in a variety of disciplines, such as media production, information technology, legal and finance. The CMO is expected to plan and spend marketing budgets in accordance with the organisation’s goals.
- Exquisite analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Passionate customer advocacy
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles, brand, product and service management
- Deep understanding of changing market dynamics
- Entrepreneurial spirit
The CMO must have approximately 10 years of well-rounded marketing or business development experience in positions requiring strategic decision making, with a focus on market expansion, as well as three to five years of experience in a leadership role.
A bachelor’s degree is required, as well as a postgraduate degree in Marketing or Business, preferably an MBA.